Controlling what built-in modules Python compiles with?

martin z pxtl at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 11:25:15 EDT 2003

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the details of controlling Python
compiling.  I can compile and embed just fine, but I want some finer
granularity on what gets compiled into Python.  I can find little to no
documentation of the compiler flags besides the ones essential to operating
system compatibility.

How does one choose what built-in modules are compiled into Python?  I ask
because newer versions are accumulating more and more unneeded features for
my embedded app.  For example, it seems unnecessary bloat to compile with
zipimport if all the modules I plan to use are being loaded in directly by
the embedding app.