Application Development in Python

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:37:24 EDT 2003

    Dave> Also note that using the database for manipulating the data
    Dave> makes the speed very acceptable. I'm almost certain that
    Dave> manipulating the data in Python would be way too slow to
    Dave> make it usable (e.g., generating a balance sheet that looks
    Dave> through all the transactions and groups them by account in
    Dave> Python would be much slower than using sql commands to do
    Dave> that).

I'm not arguing that the dbase isn't the way to go, but if you wanted
to do the manipulations in python, the Numeric package certainly
provides the speed you need to manipulate large quantities of data
rapidly.  I sometimes use a C extension to put data from an SQL
database directly into Numeric arrays and then manipulate the data in
python.

John Hunter