Tokenize

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Jul 26 21:37:18 EDT 2003

"Ken Fettig" <kfettig at state.nd.us> writes:

> Does Python have an equivelent to the Java StringTokenizer? If so,
> what is it and how do you implement it?

I don't mean to be grumpy, but why do people seem to have suddenly
started saying 'implement' where they used to say 'use'?  They mean
(or used to mean!) quite different things!

I can understand marketroids using the word like that, and non-native
English speakers picking it up from them, but I really don't
understand how native English speakers who are also programmers end up
using this confusing way of talking.

I suppose I now have to say "how to I write the body of that function"
instead of "how do I implement that function", or Ken & co. will get
confused... and I guess I now have to write a sentence or two where I
used to use the general "how do I implement that?".  Grumph.

don't-get-me-started-on-imply-vs-infer-ly y'rs,

John