Apache mod_python and Sessions

Markus Schaber scpusenet at werbung.schabi.de
Tue Jul 8 03:30:08 EDT 2003

Hello,

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:50:11 +0200
Irmen de Jong <irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Markus Schaber wrote:
> > python_weblib that does what I need (Additionally, my boss suggested
> > that we should not use mod_python but CGI instead.)
>
> What!? Why!?
> Any sane explanation why you should go with slow, outdated CGI scripts
> instead of the nice, fast web server integration of mod_python?

The script will have a very low usage (maybe about ten sessions a month). And it spends lots of time doing ldap database queries, so the starting overhead doesn't hurt so much.

Additionally, the webserver currently doesn't have mod_python installed, and there is the fear that every additional module has disadvantages (bigger startup/fork time, potential bugs, memory footprint).

I hope that these two argumens are "sane" in your world, at least they are sane enough for my boss.

Greets,
Markus