Factories in Python

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Tue Jul 29 11:21:41 EDT 2003

I'm wondering how Python cognoscenti use/implement factory patterns in
Python.  In my limited C++ experience, one reason to use a factory
method is to make it easier to create instances of classes derived off
a base class.  The instance is declared to be an instance of the base
class.  The factory returns an instance of a derived class, and
everything is groovy.  In Python, since type declarations need not be
static, it seems there is no need to have a factory method.

However, I'm guessing that I'm not understanding other benefits of
using factories in Python.  Does anybody have examples or pointers on
how use of factories in Python?

thanks
-robert