path module

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri Jul 25 14:33:22 EDT 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Jason had walkers both for all files, just non-directory files, and
> directory files.  This seems useful to me, and by making it explicit I
> might just start distinguishing text from binary (which I don't now
> because I am forgetful).  And a globbing walker, though I don't know how
> much of an advantage that would be over list comprehension.  Actually,
> all his walkers have a globbing option.

We currently only have one 'visit' method that accepts a filter for returning
results and a filter for recursing into the tree. You can use and
combine multiple filters like so:

    root = Path('...)
    for path in root.visit(AND(isdir, nolink)):
        # iterates over all non-link dirs in the tree (breadth-first)

or

    for path in root.visit(AND(isfile, endswith('.txt')), nodotfile):
        # iterates over all '*.txt' files but not recursing into ".*"

and so on.  This proved to be flexible and convenient and mostly avoids
the need for multiple walk-methods.

cheers,

    holger