Securing the Pyton Interpreter?

Vinoo Vasudevan ee01b092 at ee.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Jul 17 02:59:36 EDT 2003

Steven Taschuk <staschuk at telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1058345545.31859.python-list at python.org>...
> Quoth Mel Wilson:
> > seem to recall there are complications with suid on scripts
> > .. though I don't recall what they are.
>
> A simple example:  Let the file insecure_script contain
>     #!/bin/sh
>     grep 'f.*bar' $*
> This script must not be made setuid-root.  Consider:
>     $ cat >grep
>     #!/bin/sh
>     cp /etc/shadow . && chmod 0666 ./shadow
>     ^D
>     $ chmod +x ./grep
>     $ export PATH=.:$PATH
>     $ insecure_script
>
> You could deal with this particular problem by using absolute path
> names for everything in the script, and/or by setting $PATH in the
> script itself.  [clip]

I didn't see this post before I posted the one with the naive shell
script. As clear as I can make it, the problem seems to be two-fold :-
Not allowing normal users to access the python interpreter directly,
and making sure they run only a certain set of scripts.
One solution that may work is to set up the interpreter so that _only_
you have read and execute permissions(maybe installing it in your home
directory), and then putting a shell script which has your UID but has
read and execute permissions for all users in a commonly accessible
place. The path to the interpreter and the python scripts must be
absolute in this script to avoid  security problems as mentioned
above.

Hope this works,
 Vinoo