streams (was: Re: Itertools)

Mike Rovner mike at nospam.com
Wed Jul 30 16:07:11 EDT 2003

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Any feedback welcome.  I'd like to make it as Pythonic as possible.

> An perhaps make it standard.  Particular open questions:

>   - The linked lists are called "streams" by me because they are lazy
>     and that's what such beasts are called in functional languages.

Stream is used differently in Tcl and Unix.
Minded separation Python from functional approach (deprecation of filter,
map;
doubtfulness of implementing tail recursion optimization) probably it is not
so
inspiring for regular python programmer.

Lazy "streams" are a good thing provided they can be easily used for
organizing data pathes and connections.

>     - `Cons` still requires lisp background but I don't know any name
>       that would be recognizable to non-lispers anyway.  And it's not
>       a bad name.

Construct, Glue, Merge?
Taken readability any whole word is better.

>     - I called the operation for creating new iterator from same place
>       "forking".  Alternative names: `split`, `copy`, `clone`, `dup`,
>       "lookahead", etc.  What's best?

copy is already using construct in python. Why not use it?

>   - Anything else anybody needs?

If I got the intend of Stream correctly, I wish use them as Tcl streams,
so I'd need combining and filtering and i/o.

Just 0.02

Mike