"Pure Python" MySQL module like Net::MySQL

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 21 14:53:19 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin <> wrote:
> What the heck?  If the wire protocol isn't part of the official
> external interface, then how on earth are external applications
> supposed to talk to the database?  They certainly can't expect you to
> use black-box client libraries if they're at all serious about being
> in the same league with Oracle.

    Actually, I think they do.  With a change to a gpl licensed client library,
in mysql 4.x, I think mysql ab is trying to get more revenue from anyone using
the mysql database for commercial purposes.  Forcing all access to the database
to go through their client libraries is one of the things that made this
possible.