[OT] sentances with two meanings

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 12:22:48 EDT 2003

Syver Enstad wrote:

> > Given the biblical meaning of "known", this could have even more than
> > two meanings :-)
>
> Does "to know" in english also mean to feel someone? In my own language
> the direct translation of the english know also means to feel. I could
> say (translated) "I know the cold", meaning I feel the cold
> weather.

To "know" someone, in the biblical sense, is to have "carnal
knowledge" of them, i.e. "knowledge of the flesh", i.e. to have had
sexual relations with them.

Some of the English translations of the bible use terms such as "And
Adam knew Eve, and Eve begat 2 children", etc, etc. These translations
are probably from the middle ages, or earlier.

--
alan kennedy