Beefing up socket.ssl(...)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Jul 25 16:45:36 EDT 2003

    >> http://www.python.org/patches/

    Ed> I'm not sure whether this "functional change" would be considered a
    Ed> "bug fix" or "feature addition".  The SSL support in socketmodule.c
    Ed> seems to be lacking almost to the point of being "unusable"... I
    Ed> can't imagine anyone actually using it for anything "real" in it's
    Ed> current state, and in that sense, it may be legitimate to call my
    Ed> changes a "bug fix".

This is open source.  If you don't submit the code, who will? ;-)

Also, note that the SSL code has been factored out into Modules/_ssl.c.

    Ed> Or I could just hack on socketmodule.c with every new Python release
    Ed> and hope that someone eventually adds better SSL support.

If nobody ever submits such code it will never get into Python.  Essentially
all functionality that's there today is because writing it scratched an itch
for the author.

Skip