Windows Python 2.3b2 bug? Edit with IDLE

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Jul 13 00:51:03 EDT 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:

>[Bartolomé Sintes Marco]
>> I am using Python 2.3b2 in a Windows 98 SE machine. If I right-click
>> a .py file, the menu shows an "Edit with IDLE" option, but when I
>> select it no IDLE window opens, as Python 2.2.2 did. Is it a known
>> bug, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks
>
>It's a known bug, and will be fixed before the next release.  There's a new
>version of IDLE in a new location in 2.3, but the installer wasn't updated
>accordingly (to point the "Edit with IDLE" action to IDLE's new home).

This is easy to fix, if the original poster is not afraid of editing the
registry.  Go recursively search the Python directory for "idle.pyw".
Remember the new path.  Open regedit, and go to
  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    Python.File
      shell
        Edit with IDLE
          command

The default value will be something like:
  C:\Apps\Python22\pythonw.exe C:\Apps\Python22\Tools\idle\idle.pyw -e "%1"

Change the path in the second parameter, and you should be good-to-go.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.