path module

Just van Rossum just at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 8 11:02:29 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Just> Also: this would not be portable on platforms not using / as
>     Just> os.sep, ...
>
> Not necessarily.

True, but it takes guessing: "did the author really mean to specify
several path components here, or is he/she intentionally using the unix
path separater in file names on a platform that _does't_ use / as the
path separator?". In the face of ambiguity etc.

> My guess (again, without trying it) is that it does
> the right thing.

It doesn't...

> Nonetheless, before anything like Jason's path module is incorporated
> into the standard distribution, a PEP is almost certainly required.
> I imagine there are some things which could be done better (or at
> least differently) to make the overall module more acceptable.

Absolutely. I really like Holger's observation that having path objects
levels the road to virtual file systems (eg. use a zip file as a file
system). Anyone intersted in volunteering to write that PEP? I'd like to
contribute in some way, but I'm not going to write more than 1 PEP per
year :-).

Just