file.close()

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jul 27 19:31:19 EDT 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> Hallvard B Furuseth fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 25 July
> 2003 12:51 pm:
>
> > Um.  Explicit close does raise an exception if it fails, right?

>         Looks like it doesn't care... As long as the file /had/ been
> opened
> first (doesn't look like the interactive interpreter collected f until
> the del either).

I don't think you've demonstrated that; all you've shown is that builtin
Python file objects make file closing idempotent.  You haven't
demonstrated a case where there actually is an I/O error that occurs
when .close gets called.  In particular, I _really_ don't know what you
meant to show with this snippet, as it really has nothing to do with
files at all:

> <closed file 't.t', mode 'w' at 0x809dc88>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> NameError: name 'f' is not defined

/  \ He who knows how to be poor knows everything.
\__/  Jules Michelet