Python Quiz

richardc richardc at hmgcc.gov.uk
Wed Jul 16 10:53:55 EDT 2003

Sorry, I didnt mean to suggest for a second that Python's use of indentation
(ws), is a problem or in any way a labour of love like FORTRAN's.

"Michael Chermside" <mcherm at mcherm.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> Definitely NOT. Without addressing the question of HOW Python came by the
> idea of using indentation to indicate block structure, it clearly couldn't
> have been from Fortran, because what Python does and what Fortran does
> are COMPLETELY different.

Very true, but to say that FORTRAN and Python have nothing in common would
also be untrue.  They both use ws to delimit syntatic elements, not the same
elements but use it in a very different way to most other languages.

I admit that Python probley gained no insiration from FORTRAN and any
'similarities' are coincidental.

> There's also the fact that "lines" (statements) are defined by line breaks
> in Python -- but I rarely hear complaints about this, since most
programmers
> mentally chunk up code into "lines" anyway.

No complaints there

> Of course, I'm not suggesting that whitespace is *meaningless* in Python
> outside of indentation...

should hope not

Please dont misinterprit my post as an attack on Python, whilst Im a old-hat
C++ programmer and first time I looked at Pythno I thought... urggh, no
brackets thats horrid.  After a bit better look, I love it.  Like everything
it has its place.

Sorry if I upset anyone... I know FORTRAN's bad, but its not that bad...
erm, actually mabe it is ?

As for OCCAM, I havent programmed in that for years, that was fun *lost in
fond memories*

Rich