anything like C++ references?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 17 12:35:48 EDT 2003

"Stephen Horne" <intentionally at blank.co.uk> wrote in message
news:hub7hvgjjm0prt5p3jn92npmb3gf777mr9 at 4ax.com...
> A goal of Python is to be a 'very high level language'. Another is
> 'do the right thing'.

At this point, we need to differentiate between Guido's goal for
Python, your goal for Python, and anybody else's.  The above may by
your goals but not necessarily others' (primary) goals.

> In my view, the current implementation of Python with respect to
> variable binding is against those goals.

That may be, for all I know.

> Python isn't really a member of that list. ...
> It isn't an experimental language. It doesn't obsess on one
particular
> concept. It is a language for getting things done with very little
> fuss.

This is, I believe, expresses Guido's goal for Python much better than
your two goals above.  So, by your own statement, he has met *his*
goal pretty well.

Terry J. Reedy