function overloading

Jere Kahanpaa kahanpaa at gstar.astro.helsinki.fi
Thu Jul 3 02:33:38 EDT 2003

Hi.

Mirko Koenig <koenig at v-i-t.de> wrote:
> I serached around the web and some tutorials but i can't finds any
> documentation about function overloading in python.

> I want to have 3 functions:
> def setPos( x, y ):
> def setPos( pos ):
> def setPos( object ):
> ( pos and object are classes i wrote )

The normal Pythonic way is probably as follows:

def setPos(position):
   """
   Set Position.

   The 'position' argument should be one of
      * a tuple of coordinates (x,y)
      * a instance of class Pos
      * a instance of class Object
   """

   if type(positions) is types.TupleType or type(positions) is types.ListType:
       x,y = positions
   else if:
      ... identify object type and process

Jere
--
It's hard to think outside the box when you ARE the box.
                            - unknown, alt.religion.kibology