anything like C++ references?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Wed Jul 16 00:01:41 EDT 2003

Quoth Adam Ruth <owski at hotmail.com>:
| In Python, there is no situation where "you really can't avoid pointers".

That's trivially true, no such situation can exist because that
Python can't be coded.  I'll repeat an example that I proposed
a couple days ago, though:  user implemented sequences could be
implemented with a single simple indexing function, returning
a pointer/target/whatever;  Python could assign directly to that,
making "seq[i] = x" the same kind of operation as and automatically
symmetrical with "x = seq[i]".

It can't be done without pointers, as far as I can see.  You may not
care if it can be done, but I think you'd agree that "there is no
situation that I care about where you really can't avoid pointers"
would be kind of a lame version of your assertion.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com