Windows XP - Environment variable - Unicode

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Jul 13 11:24:21 EDT 2003

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
> John Roth wrote:
>
> > > Read the source, Luke.
> >
> > I haven't gotten into the Python source, and my name
> > is not Luke.
>
> And life's to short to waste on movies...

Depends on what your goals in life are.

> > On reading this over, it does sound a bit more strident than my
> > assumption that you need to read the source to find out the
> > answer to various questions.
>
> Well, you obviously didn't bother to read the documentation for
> os.environ, so pointing you to the source sounds like a reasonable
> idea.

Not particularly. I might be one of that not inconsiderable number
of people that doesn't know C. I'm not, but the number of people
who use Python and who don't know C is not zero.

I like Python because, for the most part, it's much more
understandable than many languages I know, and that
makes it much more productive. What I've learned in this
conversation is that os.environ fails to handle one of the
major corner cases in a Windows NT/2000/XP environment.
So if I need that corner case, I'm going to have to use
the Windows API call. Not a big deal, but also not something
that I regard as one of the language's strengths.

John Roth