Executing a program

klappnase klappnase at freenet.de
Sat Jul 19 19:16:14 EDT 2003

Eirik <hannibalkannibal at yahoo.no> wrote in message news:<FTeSa.7289$os2.110498 at news2.e.nsc.no>...
> Greetings!
>
> How can I run a program from within Python?
>
> I have tried the exec* family of functions, but I get these strange
> errors, like this:
>
>   Exception in Tkinter callback
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1300, in __call__
>       return apply(self.func, args)
>     File "./PPP", line 9, in run_app
>       os.execvp("home/eirik/ppp-skript", argument)
>     File "/usr/lib/python2.2/os.py", line 298, in execvp
>       _execvpe(file, args)
>     File "/usr/lib/python2.2/os.py", line 324, in _execvpe
>       apply(func, (file,) + argrest)
>   OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Hi,
if you want to run an external program with a bash command (seems like
that's what you're trying to do) exec is not the right function for
you; with exec you can run python modules.
Try something like:

os.system("home/eirik/ppp-skript --argument")

instead or if you want to get the output of your program try

xyz = commands.getoutput("home/eirik/ppp-skript --argument")

Did that help (maybe I have not really understood your problem)?

Cheers
Michael