Connecting Oracle8i to Python

the_rev_dharma_roadkill doug.hendricks at tnzi.com
Thu Jul 17 01:29:58 EDT 2003

doug.hendricks at tnzi.com (the_rev_dharma_roadkill) wrote in message news:<fb91dbec.0307161754.8a21bd0 at posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> I'm a newbie to Python.  In order to get much use out of it at my
> site, I must be able to connect it to Oracle8i databases.  I'm running
> Python 2.2.2 on Tru64 (osf1 V5.1a).
>
> First question:
> What do you recommend?
> DCOracle2?  Note that I am not running Zope or any other web software.
> cx_Oracle?
> Other?
>
> Second question (important only if you recommend DCOracle2)
> I can "make" DCOracle2, but I don't see any hints anywhere on how to
> install it on a non-zope system.  If I try any obvious thing, like cp
> -r to lib/python2.2/site-packages, at BEST I get:
>
> > python
> Python 2.2.2 (#1, May  9 2003, 14:15:51) [C] on osf1V5
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "DCOracle2/__init__.py", line 37, in ?
>     from DCOracle2 import   *
>   File "DCOracle2/DCOracle2.py", line 104, in ?
>     import dco2
> ImportError: dlopen: DCOracle2/dco2.so: symbol "OCILobIsTemporary"
> unresolved

I actually can get past this now using libocijdbc8 but now I get:
>>> import DCOracle2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "DCOracle2/__init__.py", line 91, in ?
    import DA
  File "DCOracle2/DA.py", line 90, in ?
    from db import DB
  File "DCOracle2/db.py", line 89, in ?
    import DCOracle2, DateTime
ImportError: No module named DateTime

How many other non-standard modules do I need to install to get
DCOracle2 working in a non-zope vanilla environment?