Sample Web application

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jul 10 11:01:38 EDT 2003

On 09 Jul 2003 20:53:17 -0500,
	Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> But more generally, I can't stand writing about how to work around
> problems, when (as a programmer) it is within my power to fix those
> problems.  It seems far better to spend time fixing problems than merely
> documenting them.

I don't believe it's possible to fix the installation problems.  Quixote
works with Apache, IIS, AOLserver, Medusa, and Twisted; there seems nothing
that can be done to simplify things across that entire range.

It can be made easier in one particular case, of course.  For example,
setting up an SCGI application with Apache requires three steps:

	1) Compile mod_scgi and install it.  (On Debian unstable,
	   you can install it with apt-get.
	2) Add a directive to httpd.conf and restart:
	   <Location "/appurl">
              SCGIServer 127.0.0.1 6500
              SCGIHandler On
           </Location>
	3) Run the SCGI application so that it listens to port 6500.

The Dulcinea package (http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/dulcinea/)
includes scripts for running multiple web sites on a machine and easily
configuring them, but that's a feature that isn't being pushed very
strongly, and we made little effort to make this feature usable by
outsiders.

--amk
When is a cat not a cat? When it builds a cat-flap...
      -- The Doctor, in "Survival"