octet string conversion

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 28 17:46:05 EDT 2003

Matthew wrote:

> I am working on some software that uses SNMP to get information from
> routers and switches. I am using the pysnmp module (v2.0.8) to do the
> snmp part. The problem that I am having is that when I query a router
> for mac addresses pysnmp returns octetstrings like this:
>
> \000\002\263\254\264\351
> \010\000 \301F\021
> \010\000 \300\303[
> \000\002\263\254\264\241

I presume these are the repr of the strings you get back.  If so, this
is simply in binary format.  To convert, take the ord of each character
and print the hexadecimal code:

>>> S = '\010\000 \301F\021'
>>> ':'.join(['%x' % ord(x) for x in S])
'8:0:20:c1:46:11'

/  \ Take the slow train / To my destination
\__/  Sandra St. Victor