Sio serial module install problem with ActiveState

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 15 17:17:11 EDT 2003

"yaipa h." wrote:

> All,
>
> Worked like a charm for me too! I used it to develop an
> automated attendant for a Serial Oven Controller. The
> attendant ran from Sparc Solaris using Python 2.1 and pySerial.
>
> The only weird thing, which I didn't get a chance to
> debug, was a perfectly working script under RS-232
> got terribly out of sync when R/W I/O to a RS-485
> serial network.  Any reason why that would be?

Well, one reason might be that RS232 is point-to-point, while
RS-485 is many-to-many, at least in principle.  Was this a
bus network, or at least a "multidrop" situation with one master
and many slaves?  There are no guarantees in those situations, unless
you've been very careful to ensure proper handshaking, timing,
and such.

If you want to discuss this, please define "out of sync" in more
detail... it could mean anything.

-Peter