FCNTL module deprecation warning

Tony Meyer ta-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 16 01:04:46 EDT 2003

> There isn't (or at least shouldn't be) any file named
> fcntl.py anywhere in your Python installation.  FCNTL.py,
> yes, but not fcntl.py (or .dll, or .pyd, etc).

I found the problem (and it was even something suggested in one of the
answers to my original post) - I had (in both the 2.3b2 and 2.2.3
directories) a fnctl.pyc, which, I presume from the behaviour, must have
been a compiled version of FNCTL.py (a FNCTL.pyc could never then be
created, of course).

How it got there without being capitalised, I don't know.  (Well, I know one
way it could have - if I do set PYTHONCASEOK and then import fcntl, a
fcntl.pyc file appears, which is actually a compiled FCNTL.  But until
today, I'd never heard of (so presumably never set) PYTHONCASEOK.  They
could have appeared in the testing that I did after reading the responses to
my question, but then what caused the original behaviour that prompted the
post?).

In any case, Python does what I expect now, and what I'm told it's meant to
do, so that's all I really care about.  If it ever happens again, at least
I'll know how to fix it.

Thanks to those that helped :)

=Tony Meyer