Status of Python / Platform-specific support ??

Thomas Weholt 2002 at weholt.org
Sun Jul 6 18:59:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

I've been using Python on both Windows 2000 and Linux for some time now. On
Windows I've used PythonWin as editor, Emacs on Linux. This has been working
ok so far. Now as Python will be a part of Mac OS X Panther will this affect
Pythons support for platform-specific modules in a big way? I'm not a
Mac-expert, but OS X is basically a Unix-clone as base with a Apple-GUI on
top, right? So most *nix apps will compile and run nicely on that platform?
With Python as an integrated part of the system, I'd be seriously thinking
about changing platform.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current status is for Python on Mac,
as for support, IDEs etc. ? Is Mac shaping up to be the best platform for
Python development and python lovers in general, or is Mac just catching up
to Linux?

Any thoughts on platform benefits for python developers; Win32 vs. Linux vs.
Mac? Drawbacks?

Best regards,
Thomas W