Solaris 9, problem building Python 2.1.1

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Tue Jul 15 21:08:46 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 02:34, Dave Harrison wrote:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>     from _socket import *
> ImportError: ld.so.1: python2.1: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.6: open failed: No such file or directory

Seems like your lib(open)ssl is missing, or invalid. I think there is
some command-line option to configure which states whether to try to
link with SSL support (just turn it off), but maybe you'll have to
change the setup/Modules file to leave out SSL-support for the socket
module.

Or try installing openssl 0.9.6j (is the latest, I think).

HTH!

Heiko.

PS: I remember someone else experienced some problem like yours about
three months ago, linking Python with OpenSSL on AIX (iirc) wouldn't
work correctly. Maybe you could just look there.

PPS: I don't know too much about Solaris, so this is all just a guess...