Unfortunate exception on dict item assignment (and why aren't slices hashable?)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jul 30 10:05:51 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1059566448.27346.python-list at python.org>,
Jeff Epler  <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:29:19PM +0100, Marc Wilson wrote:
>> In comp.lang.python,  aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) (Aahz) wrote in
>> <bg5vg6$2d2$1 at panix1.panix.com>::
>>
>> |Fair enough.  Note carefully that I said "submit a patch" -- that
>> |doesn't guarantee that the patch will be accepted, and it's quite likely
>> |that it won't be.  But "submit a patch" is usually a good way to get
>> |people to shut up.  ;-)
>>
>> Shame it doesn't work in *all* newsgroups, eh?
>
>I'll have you know that I've submitted a number of Python patches that
>were clearly bad ideas.  In fact, I'm a little hurt that Aahz doesn't
>think of me as "that guy who often posts or submits horrible patches
>and won't shut up".

I'm not sufficiently involved with the actual development process to
hold such an opinion.  ;-)  (Despite my regular comments on python-dev,
I don't contribute code because SF refuses to make changes to allow Lynx
to work correctly.)

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz