anything like C++ references?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Jul 15 03:31:41 EDT 2003

Stephen Horne wrote:

> The whole point of 'self' is to act as a name for the object (not the
> value) so there is no problem in having it behave that way. Its
> already special because its implicit, so making it special in this way
> too wouldn't be a big issue.
>
> Implementation detail. Not a fundamental problem.

I don't understand what distinction you're making between "object" and
"value" in this context.  In a dynamically, strongly typed language, I
don't see what value -- or, rather, merit -- there is in making the
distinction.

The value is the object.  The object is the value.

/  \ Heaven and Hell / Is on Earth
\__/  Salt-n-Pepa