Haskell distutils-type system

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 2 02:03:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 16:34, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> > Do you / did you find yourself duplicating a lot of what make already
> > does, ie dependencies, etc, or do you utilize make?
>
> AFAIK Python's distutils doesn't know about dependencies.

It seems clear to me that distutils would have no use for make's
dependencies.  distutils is for distribution of modules, not the
iterative development of those modules.  When you build a C extension,
you are always going to compile every file, since you are starting from
scratch.  Make's dependencies are only for speeding the developer's life
as they change individual files, it's not for the extension user or
installer.

  Ian