pyBoards.com

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 4 18:30:22 EDT 2003

Aahz wrote:

> In article <3F05C39D.3F65B89C at engcorp.com>,
> Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> >
> >Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
> >in general suffers from large propagation delay.  It is that delay, caused
> >by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
> >"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.
>
> Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
> stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
> propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
> depending on where you're located.

That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there.  In both
cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...