Python Quiz

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 05:55:16 EDT 2003

pythonguy at Hotpop.com (Anand Pillai) wrote in
news:84fc4588.0307152253.20858619 at posting.google.com:

> Hi Pythonistas,
>
> I have placed a quiz on Python on the trivia site www.funtrivia.com.
> Here is the link.
>
> http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?id=139672
>
> Looks like it is the first quiz on Python on this site.
>
> Please try it out if you like quizzing.
> Let me know if there are any factual errors.

I think that questions 4 and 8 leave something to be desired.

At this year's ACCU conference, Guido talked somewhat about the history of
Python. He said it was based on ABC, "other influences: Modula-3, C/C++ and
even Smalltalk, Icon, Pascal, Algol-68". By my reckoning that makes two of
the answers to question 4 correct.

On question 8, I'm not aware that Python borrowed anything from Java. Since
it predates Java he couldn't have borrowed anything on day one (does anyone
remember when Guido first got the time machine working?[1]), although
admittedly the language has evolved since then. I suspect the object
oriented similarities come more from a common ancestry. At the same talk as
above he listed Lisp as an anti-influence, so it isn't clear to me whether
lambda &c. were borrowed from CLISP as you claim or from functional
programming generally. OTOH I can't exclude Fortran as an (indirect)
influence. If the syntax for assignment isn't ultimately borrowed from
Fortran, where did it come from?

[1] First Python reference to a time machine I can find is Paul Prescod in
April 1998 proposing its construction, although it was obviously fully
operational by September 1998.