PyQT and Mandrake 9.1

Paul Grimes python at grimes.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 11:33:28 EDT 2003

MK wrote:

> "Paul Grimes" <python at grimes.org.uk> wrote
>
>> > Be careful. QT is controlled by one company,
>>
>> Sort of true
>
> I'd say it's true. What do you mean by "sort of"?
> No matter what anybody says, Qt is controlled by
> Trolltech, full stop.

The free version is GPLed, so if you don't like the way it's going, you can
always fork it.  Trolltech only control the _official_ free version (i.e.
the one on their website) and the commercial version.  If Trolltech should
go under, or otherwise stop distributing the GPL version, then the official
free version will be BSD licenced (as I understand it, although I find that
slightly weird).

>> Not true, unless you want to distribute a closed source program
>
> So this is "sort of true", right?

I suppose so.  But the free version is free, and always will be.  It only
costs money if you don't like the license terms of the free version.

Paul