dcom client from non-windows python

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 2 13:48:50 EDT 2003

Paul Rudin wrote:

>     > My guess is you would be more successful using pyro for the
>     > distributed stuff.
>
> Ya, but that doesn't allow you to talk to, for example, excel running
> on a windows box directly.

True, but it's probably piece of cake to use Mark Hammond's win32all
extensions for Python on the windows box, to actually do the call,
and use Pyro for the platform-neutral communication.

This won't work if you're not able to run Python on the target
machines, of course.

> I'm not sure how much reimplementing windows is needed? There are
> other non-python tools that achieve this kind of thing - see e.g.
> <http://www.linar.com/> - in theory you just need to know how to drive
> the dcom network protocol.

Linar's J-Integra dates from august 2001, according to their page.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, also given Microsoft's way
of changing things without documenting them.
Who knows what the exact specs are of the "dcom network protocol"?
(If there even is such a thing. And aren't we all going to .NET ?)

IMHO you shouldn't spend a second on trying to re-implement a closed
protocol such as DCOM. I think there are much better alternatives
out there, that are already available, open, documented, supported
and actively developed.

Just my €0.02

--Irmen de Jong