Python scripting with Paint Shop Pro 8.0

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 09:55:34 EDT 2003

Marc Wilson <marc at cleopatra.co.uk> wrote in
news:kl3lhvgh5iillo5g9jvff92qkc8i2022nm at 4ax.com:

> I'm a complete Python newbie, though I know at least one regular in
> here. :)
>
> I've just got Paint Shop Pro 8.0, and the functionality of the old
> ImageRobot add-on has been replaced with the new Python Scripting.
>
> So far, OK.
>
> What I'm trying to determine is: can I run these scripts from a
> command-line invocation?  I want to use the scripts to automatically
> convert files as they arrive, uploaded onto a website, not
> interactively.

Have you tried running a script from the commandline?

> Has anyone played with this?

I just downloaded the PSP8 evaluation. It installs with a bunch of sample
scripts. These sample scripts all have a file extension .PspScript, and the
file association set up by the installer associates .PspScript with the
command: "...\Paint Shop Pro.exe" "/Script" "%1"

Unfortunately whenever I start Paintshop pro it gives me a popup window
telling me its an evaluation copy and requiring me to confirm the window
before it proceeds. When started with a script that uses a dialog there
appears to be a deadlock as the script cannot proceed with this window
displayed, and the window won't accept any input. It works alright though
for scripts that don't try to do anything interactive, and I would guess
that a properly registered copy of the program would run scripts with
dialogs correctly, but you are probably in a better situation to determine
that than anyone on this newsgroup.