A challenge to the ASCII proponents.

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:45:56 EDT 2003

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> So what do you think about this message?:
>
> γίγνωσκω
>
> Look Ma, no markup. And not every character uses two bytes, either.
> And I can use Umlauts (äöü) and Arabic (ءﺎﻣ.ﺔﻛﺮﺷ)
> if I want to.

Martin,

I can see from other people's messages that this has been successful
for some people with modern software.

However, it failed for me on my old Netscape 4.x Messenger. Which is
acceptable, I suppose, because I intentionally use ancient email and
usenet software. It is also worth noting that although my poor old
usenet client failed to display the sequence of characters, the
"Navigator" component to which it belongs correctly displayed the
greek text when fed Bengt's "gignooskoo.html" file (although it failed
on my xml snippet).

More worrying however is the failure of modern browsers to display the
characters when accessed through Google Groups.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3F172442.2040907%40v.loewis.de

I tried to view this in IE6.0 and Netscape 6.2, and all I saw was

Whereas that thread still shows my XML snippet intact, still
copy&paste-able.

kind regards,

--
alan kennedy