Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 4 23:18:40 EDT 2003

delphiro wrote:

> In our company however there is not a thing that could not be
> done with Python. And as I think of our company as a very regular
> IT company ('development keywords'; gui / database / internet /
> client-server / sorter-system (well the last is not too regular
> I guess :-)) this will fit for a lot of IT companies.
>
> And off course, if someone wants to have a macro for Word
> of Excel, Python won't do but it *will* for almost any regular
> IT job. That's my point.

Ah, thanks for clarifying then.  "IT" is a subset of a much
larger area of computing, in which there are likely to be,
I believe, a sizable number of areas for which Python is _not_
the *best* tool.

My own company is not "IT", but what you'd probably call
industrial control.  Python has a great many very effective
uses in that area, but there are things it is not "best" at,
apart from hardware drivers.  One, for example, is hard real-time
work... it's not very good at all there. :-)

-Peter