"Pure Python" MySQL module like Net::MySQL

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jul 21 10:42:29 EDT 2003

I saw Paul's quote in John's reply.  I've yet to see Paul's not.  Hopefully
I'm not taking anything out of context.

    Skip> libraries haven't been ported.  On the other hand, the MySQL wire
    Skip> protocol is probably not part of the official external interface,
    Skip> so the author has to track changes to the protocol.

    Paul> What the heck?  If the wire protocol isn't part of the official
    Paul> external interface, then how on earth are external applications
    Paul> supposed to talk to the database?

By using the client library MySQL provides.  As far as I can tell, the MySQL
wire protocol is not documented in the current version of the manual
(http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/).  That suggests to me
that the protocol is not part of the external interface, and anyone
implementing it directly can't really complain if it changes.

Skip