A challenge to the ASCII proponents.

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:25:19 EDT 2003

[Much discussion elided, because it's definitely way off topic]

Bengt Richter wrote:

> Which part, though? The encoding, or the fact that you see the encoding
> in the above instead of its being rendered with the intended appearance?
>
> IOW, any solution will involve *some* encoding and the possibility of
> rendering it "raw" or interpreted. A smart GUI might have a default
> mode showing everything interpreted, and have a "view source" button.

I did just want to make one quick point about this.

I believe that a major part of the reasons for the success of the URI
scheme is their simplicity and transcribability, especially in
situations that may not immediately involve a computer. I think most
people been through one or more of the following

1. Spoken a URI over the telephone.
2. Seen URIs on passing taxis/trucks/trains/planes/automobiles
3. Scribbled a URI on a business card, or scrap of paper
4. Sent a URI by SMS text message, i.e. tapping it out on a 10-key
phone keypad.
5. Printed a URI on their own business card.
6. "Handwritten" a URI into PDA handwriting recognition software.

I have a little difficulty with the insistence that 2 character
iso-latin-1 escape codes go easily in all the above situations. Should
I have to say

http://xhaus.com/%F3cinn%E9ide

instead of

http://xhaus.com/ócinnéide

If I use the latter, then that's an illegal URI.

It's a wart.

But it's not a python wart, so I'll shut up now :-L

regards,

--
alan kennedy