Python and VS.Net

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Jul 23 15:33:27 EDT 2003

> If your Python code could thereby access the .NET libraries, that would be
> another story.   That would be like Jython for .NET.   I was hoping that was
> what Active State's Python-in-VS.NET-thingy was, but alas it was too good to
> be true: it is only (so far) a color-syntaxing Python editor that takes two
> or three minutes to load up.

You are mixing up two difference ideas. ActiveState's VisualPython is a
plugin for VS.NET to provide all the IDE stuff (like editting,
debugging, interactive shell, help, intellisense, etc) for Python
programmers.

The idea of integrating the Python language somehow into the .NET
framework is independent of VS.NET-the-IDE, though I suppose one might
like some level of connection between the two. Mark Hammond, before and
while at ActiveState did do some exploratory work in this direction. But
that is all it has come to so far: exploration. So your "too good to be
true" does (currently) apply to a so called Python.NET. This code is
currently in PyWin32's CVS tree one SourceForge:
    http://sf.net/projects/pywin32
There is also the independent Kobra project that I have not looked at.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com