Python vs. Perl vs. PHP?

Diez B. Roggisch deets_noospaam at web.de
Mon Jul 28 14:39:15 EDT 2003

Fazer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am an avid user of PHP and I am just fooling around with Python for
> now.  I originally wanted to know which one is faster.  As in, works
> faster.  So far, I think PHP is the fastest for dynamic web-content.
> Am I wrong?

Definitely. See here:

http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml

Python is place 13, with a speed index of 578. PHP is second last (before
bash) and has a speed index of 197.

Besides that, PHP is a really ugly language - not only to the eye (which is
admittedly a matter of taste), but a friend of mine currently implements a
PHP->C-Compiler had delved deep into the language implementation - and it
_is_ ugly.

I expirienced mayor flaws in PHP 4.0.x, where my declared functions in a
6000 line include vanished from time to time - repeating the request
sometimes solved the problem. That was really nasty.

Regards,

Diez