Using xml.xpath question.

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:17:10 EDT 2003

> [Paul Boddie]
> Try this:
> This makes a context and then adds the definition of the prefix for
> the XPath query engine...
> I compile the expression in order to allow the context to be used.
>        ... we have to set up a context first to contain those
> definitions.
> [<DOM Text node "Hellpppp">]

A very nice and helpful Paul Boddie in action on c.l.p.

But OMFG!  Here we see why we need a good *high* level XML library in
the Python Standard Library.  The effbot is doing great work with
elementtree at www.effbot.org, but he is doing that all alone.  I
think a good high level XML library should have a very high priority
for Python.

It should be a much higher priority for the core Python developers
than the extensions I have seen lately.  Booleans, bah!  And for
instance, I hate it to make my code unreadable using list
comprehensions and other syntactic sugar; and then later having to
explain it to a C programmer.  "Ha!" she says, "You claimed the Python
language reads like pseudocode!".  Geez.