When is unit-testing bad?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 8 06:59:57 EDT 2003

Edvard Majakari wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003, kyle at lakeofburningfire.org wrote:
>
> > Part I
> > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-puffin.html
> >
> > Part II
> > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-puffin2.html
>
> Having read part I, I really have have to say it looks quite nice tool. I
> guess it's no use to starting my own - also, I'm more convinced now that I
> should do the testing at lower layers, making presentation layer 'thin'
> enough so that there's no need to test it thoroughly. Thanks for the links.

A refinement of the above statement: make the presentation layer
"thin" enough that you need to test it thoroughly only *once*.  Also
make it thin enough that you very rarely if ever have to make changes
to it, thereby making such even a manual test adequate.

You shouldn't _not_ test something... but it's okay sometimes to avoid
the writing fully automated tests, and this is a good example of when.

-Peter