Embedded python: dotted (sub) module name

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.com
Wed Jul 30 22:39:25 EDT 2003

logistix at cathoderaymission.net wrote:
> I get the feeling I'm just picking the wrong google search phrase
> here, because I'm finding nothing.  I'm trying to namespace out some
> embedded python modules.  This works:
>
>        Py_InitModule("game", py_game_methods);
>
> but this doesn't:
>
>        Py_InitModule("quake.game", py_game_methods);
>
> What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

A module's package is defined the importer, not by the module itself.
Move a module file to a different directory, and BAM, it's in a
different package.

If your only wish is to make it so that someone can import your
extension module using "from quake import game", then it is enough to
just copy the DLL or shared lib into the proper directory.  (Well, you
also have to remember to put an __init__.py file in the quake
directory.)

--
CARL BANKS