anything new on the ternary operator?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 7 17:23:00 EDT 2003

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> I'm sorry, I was going to let this slide by, but this comment made it
> impossible. How the hell do you figure EuroPython, the biggest Python
> conference in Europe and largely equivalent to the size of PyCon, is a
> "local" conference?

After I posted that, I figured someone would probably take exception to
that term in order to stir things up.  "Local" was merely meant to mean
that it is located in a particular area on the planet Earth which it is
less convenient for certain other people to attend.  Yes, of course
that's true for every possible choice of locations.  It was not meant as
a slight.  (And, to trump your next response, yes, I know you do not
hail from Europe.)

The point is the decision wasn't announced publicly, in this
list/newsgroup (which reaches a much wider audience of Python users,
wouldn't you say?) or on the python.org Web site (which reaches an even
wider audience); it was mentioned in one presentation in a conference.
If you didn't attend to the conference, or _did_ attend the conference
and didn't happen to attend his presentation, you wouldn't have heard
about it except indirectly, which is precisely what's happening for many
of us here.

After all, as I write this, the PEP _still_ has not been updated with
the decision.

> Guido said that he wanted to let the discussion simmer down before he
> made
> an official pronouncement.

Sure, but did it really take six months to mull it over?

/  \ We're here to preserve democracy, not to practice it.
\__/  Capt. Frank Rasmey