Browser plugins

Aurélien Géron ageron at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 20 07:09:17 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'd like to write a simple portable browser plugin for Internet Explorer,
Netscape and if possible other navigators too. Is there a way to do that
using Python?  For now I'd like to develop something like the GoogleBar, but
I'd also like to know how to develop "in-frame" plugins such as Flash or
Realplayer.

I searched comp.python.com history but all I came across was someone saying
"why would you want to write Browser Plugins in the first place?".  A kind
of disguised "don't know" if you ask me.
I then looked on www.python.org but I soon found myself on ActiveX pages: I
would hate to go that way because it seems neither simple nor portable.

Any ideas?  Any links to documentation for browser plugins development?  Any
code examples or open source project I could check out?

Thank you very much,
Aurélien