A challenge to the ASCII proponents.

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 06:53:05 EDT 2003

JanC wrote:

> The verb "gignooskoo" (trying to write it with Latin letters ;)

Why limit yourself to that nasty little us-ascii alphabet? >;-)

Here it is in a format where almost everybody will be able to see the
original greek verb on their screen.

#---------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<verb>&#x3b3;&#x3af;&#x3b3;&#x3bd;&#x3c9;&#x3c3;&#x3ba;&#x3c9;</verb>
#---------

For anybody who has MS Internet Explorer 5+, Netscape 6+, Mozilla 1+,
i.e. any browser that supports XML, simply save this to a disk file
and open it in your chosen browser.

Of course, I could also have used charset "iso-8859-7", in which case
the character codes would be one-byte-only. But I don't think that
would have travelled well over UseNet to most of you.

Or I could have used UTF-16, in which case every character would have
been two-bytes. But the same UseNet problems apply.

So, the challenge to the ASCII proponents is: put the greek word
"gignooskoo" on everybody's screen, originating from a usenet message,
in the original greek, where "oo" -> greek letter omega.

Obviously, it could also be represented in python itself. But I think
it is fair to exclude python, given that not everyone reading this
message will have python available to them (think of people stumbling
across this posting while searching the archives for information about
the origin of the word "science" for example).

I expect you won't find it as simple as the XML above, although I'm
also completely prepared to be proven wrong (Alan tries to cover his
a** in advance ;-).

--
alan kennedy