The global statement

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jul 23 13:10:54 EDT 2003

[David Hitillambeau]

> I want to enable some sharing between the two functions (foo and bar)
> using one global variable in such a way that each function can have read
> and write access over it.  [...]  I've read about "The global statement"
> in python's documentation and still can't figure out it's use.

You do not have to use a `global' declaration in global scope, but you ought
to use `global' in local scope whenever you modify that variable in that
scope.

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
# Initialisation has to be done somewhere, not necessarily here.
variable = INITIAL_VALUE

def foo:
  # This function looks at `variable', a global, but does not modify it.
  # A `global variable' declaration may appear, but is not required.
  <instructions>

def bar:
  # This function may either look or change `variable', which is global.
  global variable
  <instructions>
----------------------------------------------------------------------<

The problem with globals is that when can easily abuse them, and have a
program that looks a bit disorganised.  I try to avoid them wherever
possible.  The usual best way to share data between functions is to use
classes, a bit like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
class Item:
    def __init__(self):
        self.variable = INITIAL_VALUE

    def foo(self):
        # Look at or modify self.variable.
        <instructions>

    def bar(self):
        # Look at or modify self.variable.
        <instructions>

item = Item()

you can then use `item.foo()' or `item.bar()' as needed.