python mode problem in emacs

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 10 22:49:48 EDT 2003

>>>>> "pygeek" == pygeek  <member32992 at dbforums.com> writes:

    pygeek> Hi everyone.  I've just installed emacs 21.3.1 on my WinXP
    pygeek> machine.  I wanted to switch to Python mode then realized
    pygeek> that my emacs lacked the 'python-mode.el' file. After
    pygeek> downloading from python.org and byte-compiling the file, I
    pygeek> went on to look for the file '.emacs' or 'emacs.el' to
    pygeek> include a few lines of command so that emacs would load
    pygeek> python-mode.  I looked through and searched my hard drive,
    pygeek> and there wasn't such a file by the name '.emacs' or
    pygeek> 'emacs.el'. What's going on here? Where are the files?
    pygeek> Can somebody help me?  Thanks in advance.

The easiest way to do it is to put your .emacs in C:\ (or $HOME if you
have set that environment variable).  By default, on windows, emacs
will look in $HOME and then C:\\

On win32, I usually put python-mode.el in the site-list dir of the
emacs distribution, then make a minimal .emacs which includes, among
other essentials

  (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))

JDH