A very simple question

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Thu Jul 31 21:01:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:13:36 -0800, Arnaldo Riquelme wrote:
> I'm getting familiar with Python and I have a simple question:
>
> class abc:
>     x = 100
>     y = 200
>     z = 300
>

> ac = abc()
>
> Shouldn't I have a attribute named __dict__ for ac that contains a
> dictionary of all the variables?

No.  The attributes x, y, and z are associated with the class, not any
particular instance.  (As your experiment with abc.__dict__ shows.)

If you want attributes that are bound to a particular instance, set them
in the class's __init__() method.

--
 \           "It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in |
  `\     trouble.  It's the things we know that ain't so."  -- Artemus |